Thursday, October 15, 2015

Giving puckyeah!net a new look

It's been a while since I've posted here, the summer was busy, players were moving around between teams and leagues and the "cut & paste" method of keeping up with these changes was as ineffective as I knew it would be. I faced a choice; suck it up and get it done or build something proper to handle to work load. I choose the later.

Having made the decision I faced a few hurdles:

  1. I have no budget, this is a labour of love... a hobby;
  2. I am building this solo, I've not asked anyone else to participate, it's something I want to do;
  3. Since I have no budget, outsourcing is not an option and... I want to do it;
  4. I come from a technical background but I have not coded anything in a very long time;
  5. As with any technology related project you have choices to make, I had to polish my skills on languages I used to be familiar with or find something new that I could get up to speed on;
  6. I have a full time job and a family, free time is a bit of a luxury that I don't want to spend entirely sitting behind a keyboard. It was summer after all.
Okay, enough excuses. Here are the details of where I am with this:
  1. I have chosen a technology that I'm excited to be learning;
  2. There will be costs but depending on traffic to the site they should be manageable, if I get traffic I'm likely to have options to offset those costs, I hope;
  3. The new site is under construction both from a user facing and an administrative perspective;
  4. I am happy with progress but there is still much work to be done;
  5. In the next month I am hopeful to have a functioning prototype that I can release to the public for testing and comments. Stay tuned!  

No comments:

Post a Comment